The Ha'penny Bridge

THE HA'PENNY BRIDGE

 
The Ha'penny Bridge, known later for a time as the Penny Ha'penny Bridge, and officially the Liffey Bridge, is a pedestrian bridge built in 1816 over the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland. Made of cast-iron, the bridge was cast at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire. Originally was called the Wellington Bridge (after the Duke of Wellington). Before the Ha'penny Bridge was built there were seven ferries, operated by a William Walsh, across the Liffey. The ferries were in a bad condition and Walsh was informed that he had to either fix them or build a bridge. Walsh chose the latter option and was granted the right to extract a ha'penny toll from anyone crossing it for 100 years
Initially the toll charge was based, not on the cost of construction, but to match the charges levied by the ferries it replaced. The toll was increased for a time to a Penny Ha'penny (one and a half pence), but was eventually dropped in 1919. While the toll was in operation, there were turnstiles at either end the bridge. In 2001 the number of pedestrians using the bridge on a daily basis was 27,000 and, given these traffic levels, a structural survey indicated that renovation was required. The bridge was closed for repair and renovations during 2001 and was reopened in December 2001 sporting its original white colour.
The Ha'penny Bridge over River Liffey

« back
THE HA'PENNY BRIDGE  
Home Rooms Dining Location About Dublin Accommodation Trinity College Dublin Links Convention Centre Galleries Reviews Contact Sitemap
 Site by P3 Hotels