Leinster House Dublin

LEINSTER HOUSE

 
The house was originally known as Kildare House after James Fitzgerald, the Earl of Kildare, who commissioned it to be built between 1745-47. On becoming the Duke of Leinster in 1776 the house was renamed Leinster House.The designer of Leinster House was the architect Richard Cassels (or Castle). The design is characteristic of buildings of the period in Ireland and England. In 1815, Augustus Frederick, the third Duke of Leinster, sold the mansion to the Royal Dubin Society RDS. The Society made extensive additions to the house, most notably the lecture theatre, later to become the Dáil Chamber. A number of historic events took place in Leinster House. The first balloon ascent in Ireland was made in July 1783 by Richard Crosbie from Leinster Lawn. After the establishment of the Irish Free State in 1922, the Government secured a part of Leinster House for parliamentary use. The entire building was acquired by the State in 1924.
Today, Leinster House is the seat of the two Houses of the Oireachtas (National Parliament), comprising Dáil Éireann (the House of Representatives) and Seanad Éireann (the Senate).

2 Kildare Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland
Hotels near Leinster House Dublin

« back
LEINSTER HOUSE  
Home Rooms Dining Location About Dublin Accommodation Trinity College Dublin Links Convention Centre Galleries Reviews Contact Sitemap
 Site by P3 Hotels